Monday, April 5, 2010

Teaching my children

Over this past Easter weekend my family had the opportunity to listen to General Conference.  One of the talks that left an impression with me was a talk given by Elder L. Tom Perry.  He spoke of Teaching in the home.  He spoke of how his mother would teach them from an early age lessons about the gospel and lessons from school.  He made it very clear to me that, my role as a mother, is to rear and raise up my children in the way of the Lord.  Not only teaching them ABC's and 123's but about the Savior, Jesus Christ and how to teach by example.  My children are 2 and 6 months, I have thought previously that Erik and especially Tristan are too young to understand about the gospel.  I am completely wrong.  They are little children and they are at the age where they are just exploring the world around them.  Even though attention spans aren't long enough to give a lengthy lesson I can begin teaching them small and simple lessons pertaining to the gospel.

When Jesus was on the earth with his apostles, the children would come to him.  The apostles would shoo them away saying that Jesus didn't have time to play with them.  What did Jesus do?  He said, Let the children come to me.  I know that this is what I need to do to help my children learn about the Savior and about the gospel.  I especially understand after listening to Elder L. Tom Perry's talk that the adversary is striving to tear the bonds within the home.  I know that I need to move forward and seek guidance through the spirit so that I can be the mother and teacher I need to be.

I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the blessings it has brought into my life.  I know that the words that were spoken during general conference were given to the speakers through inspiration.  I am also grateful for the Savior and the sacrifice that he made for us so that we might live with him again.  I pray that I might find the strength to carry on and learn my role as a mother so that I can teach my children.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

And how! I notice that each conference has a theme that runs through a lot of the talks, and this conference seemed to be all about the importance of motherhood. Not just parenthood, but motherhood!!